Sunday, August 4, 2013

Forbidden





The wounds on your hands never seem to heal
I thought all I needed was to believe

Here am I, a lifetime away from you
The blood of Christ, or the beat of my heart
My love wears forbidden colours
My life believes

Senseless years thunder by
Millions are willing to give their lives for you
Does nothing live on?

Learning to cope with feelings aroused in me
My hands in the soil, buried inside of myself
My love wears forbidden colours
My life believes in you once again

I'll go walking in circles
While doubting the very ground beneath me
Trying to show unquestioning faith in everything
Here am I, a lifetime away from you
The blood of Christ, or a change of heart

My love wears forbidden colours
My life believes
My love wears forbidden colours
My life believes in you once again

The brilliant lyrics, written jointly by Sakamoto and Sylvian, speak to the Christian debate over homosexuality, and any sins thereof. The wounds on the hands that "never seem to heal" refer to the inability of the Christian to forgive; to not judge; to remember that the acceptance of belief is supposed to be sufficient. Part 5 reviewed how Judaism created the hatred for homosexuality that still endures in so many societies touched by Judaism and its offshoots. The Biblical Jesus' omission of specific condemnations of homosexuality, particularly given the intense passion the Torah shows for male homosexual contact, is rather a case of exceptio firmat regulam in casibus non exceptis. Many Jesuits have relied on that principle as proof that Jesus would have said something about homosexual behavior if He'd had a problem with it, but Judeo-Christian America did not take well to that idea. The Biblical Jesus also claimed he came to "uphold the law," which could be taken to mean the Ten Commandments, every single thing in the Torah as it was then translated, or any other law to which He might possibly have been referring.

Well, we can never say whether anything was said at all, what exactly may have been said, or who mucked with it in the meantime, can we? How, though, can love wear forbidden colors? If existence, and love, believe, then the journey is being made, and it's all okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment